Dive into a pool and swim a lap or two for your health on June 24 or Swim a Lap Day. The unofficial holiday celebrates the ancient sport of swimming and encourages people to engage in it for the purpose of exercise.
Studies have shown that swimming offers many health benefits. Because a swimmer uses all of his/ her muscles while swimming, the activity is considered to be an excellent all-round work out. Not only does it burn substantial amounts of calories, it also increases heart activity and builds muscle strength. In addition, swimming can reduce stress and help people relax.
In young children, swimming can help build posture, increase coordination and flexibility and can help with motor development.
Swimming emerged as a competitive sport in 19th century England, though there is historical evidence that the ancient Japanese were responsible for inventing it. Today, swimming is one of the most popular Olympic sports around the world and includes four kinds of swimming styles: the front crawl, backstroke, butterfly and the breaststroke.
How To Celebrate?
- This one’s easy: get into your swim gear, take a dip in your local pool and swim a lap or two.
- If you prefer, go swim in a lake, river or the sea. Make sure you take all the necessary precautions one must take when swimming in nature.
- If you have never learned to swim, today is just the day to begin. Many community pools hold adult swimming class. Join them and get started.
- Organize a pool party with family and friends and have your own mini-swim meet.
- Have children? Take a class on pool safety how to supervise kids around pools and other bodies of water.
And Did your know!
…that swimming is the only sport that could save a life?
So try to take a dip today with the family and enjoy a nice and happy Swim A Lap Day!!!