REVIEW: This warm pudding has a marvelous deep chocolaty flavor, but it’s low in fat and super-quick to make. Don’t skimp on the quality of cocoa with this one—treat yourself to the good stuff.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 large egg
- 2¼ cups nonfat or low-fat milk, divided
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Lightly beat egg with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Combine 1½ cups milk, ⅓ cup sugar and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining ⅓ cup sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining ¾ cup milk until blended. Whisk the simmering milk mixture into the cocoa mixture. Pour the mixture back into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk about 1 cup of the hot cocoa mixture into the beaten egg. Return the egg mixture to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until steaming and thickened, about 2 minutes. (Do not boil.) Whisk in vanilla. Serve warm.
- Make Ahead Tip: Pour the pudding into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate for up to 3 days; serve cold.
Lovely to try with the kids this holidays. Enjoy!!