WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 -2teaspoon mustard seeds, black if available
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon ghee
- coriander (dhania), fresh chopped
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Place yellow split peas, water, turmeric and salt into largish saucepan and bring to boil.
- Turn down heat once boiling and simmer until peas are tender. About 45 – 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee or oil and gently fry onion and garlic until slightly brown.
- Add mustard seeds and chilli powder and fry a further 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to soup.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with roti bread or poppadoms.
- Optional: A skinned, finely chopped tomato can also be added to soup when serving.
There you go!! something to enjoy on dhal day or on a meatless monday 🙂