CREDIT: NOURISHED KITCHEN
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the Sofrito
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped coarsely
- 4 cloves garlic
- ⅔ cup oil
- 2 cups pureed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- finely ground sea salt
For the Eggs
- butter, for greasing
- 6 slices ham
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Puree the onion and garlic together in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Warm the olive oil in a wide braising dish over medium heat, then pour in the onion and garlic puree.
- Cook over medium heat the onion and garlic release their fragrance, and begin to color.
- Pour in the pureed tomato, and then turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Stir in the smoked paprika and drop in the herbs. Simmer, uncovered, until the flavors marry and the sauce thickens, about twenty minutes.
- Pluck out the herbs, adjust seasoning with salt, and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the oven to 180 C.
- Butter your ramekins or you can use muffin tins then line each with a slice of ham. Evenly distribute the sofrito into each of the ramekins, over the ham, and crack an egg over the sofrito.
- Bake until the white is set, but the yolk remains soft – about 8 minutes. Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve.
Nice to go with Potato wedges, cassava, or even bread 🙂 so try it and enjoy!!